Tuesday, June 16, 2009

What's in a name?

So someone asked me how we came up with Turbo's name. And it got me thinking...there always seems to be a good story behind how you name your dog. So let me start by telling you the story behind my Dane's names and then I would love to hear yours! :D

Roxy 6 1/2 year old Black Female- She was my first Dane puppy and when we were walking back to my car after picking her up at the breeder, I saw my Roxy sticker in my back window, and being from San Diego, it just was perfect.

Russia 10 1/2 year old Fawn Female- She actually was a rescue when she was 6, so she already had that name and was used to it, but I absolutely LOVE her name!!! Her previous owners suck because they abandoned her at the kennel I was grooming at, however, they did good with her name! :)

Diesel 8 month old Harl Male- When I worked for the animal hospital we had a client who had a beautiful male Dane named Diesel and I just loved it and swore I would name my next male Dane that,...so I actually copied that one! :D

Turbo 2 1/2 month old Fawnequin Male- Well we already had Diesel...so Turbo just worked perfect! Now we have Turbo Diesel! Perfect for Danes I think! LOL :D

8 comments:

Blythe said...

You're definitely right about your dogs' names being perfect for great danes! So cute.

I always get my pet names from characters that I love, mostly in books. Sophie got her name from my favorite Roald Dahl book, the BFG...Darla got her name from another one of my favorite childhood books...and my beloved Kylie got her name from an Australian TV character that I have loved since I was a kid.

I know I'm random...but their names fit their sweet personalities so well!

Anonymous said...

Maybe I should give more thought to naming my dogs. I named one hound "Sam" because he looks just like "Savage Sam" from the old Walt Disney movie. I named another "Tuggy" because I have always had a dog named Tuggy and the preceding Tuggy had just passed away. Not very creative or original, I guess.

crazy4danes said...

Blythe- I love it!

Hermit- I think it's great you keep Tuggy's name going! I had a Toby that I loved and lost and have several times thought of naming another Dog Toby...but it never seemed to fit for my Danes! :)

Bar L. said...

Those are great names!!! I named my dog Scooter (this was years ago, he's been gone for 19 years!) because the guy who gave him to me, Scott, had that as a nickname when he was a kid.

Rahime said...

Brembo got her name from Brembo brakes company. My hubby likes cars, and Brembo brakes are evidently the best. :) I wanted something unique, and thought it was a fun sounding name. The brakes company was named for a river in Italy, which I thought was appropriate since Brembo's mom's name is River.

Now that I think about it, it'd be better for a boy with the 'O' ending, but we didn't really think about that at the time. It does suit her.

Mainly, I wanted a name that wasn't the same as every other dog at the park. We know 4 or 5 other Danes named Bella (though I love the name), 3 of them are the same age as Brembo.

crazy4danes said...

Barbara- Cute! I have friends who have named their dogs after family and friends nicknames...very fun!

Rahime- I'm so glad I know where her name came from now! I am familiar with the brakes (my hubby is a car guy too) but wasn't sure that's where her name came from! VERY original!!! :D

Greg (Accessible Hunter) said...

cool names all around

Melissa Keilman said...

My we were getting our first great dane I thought you can not give a dog this majestic just a normal name so I got a foreign name book and found the two names that I just loved Anika meaning African black beauty ( and of coarse she was a black ) and Ara meaning goddess of distruction. How little I knew this would be so try when she was young in real distruction of things and in death distruction of my heart. We lost her to a heart attack in January of this year it was shuch a shock. Our new danes name is Tayrie which had I ever had a daughter that would have been her name and we are going to keep giving our danes the middle name Ara. Hopefully she will be around for a long long time.