Friday, June 26, 2009

Colors!


Now people ask me if there is any difference in the color of the Dane and oh yes there is! Now this is my opinion and observation from owning a wide range of colors and working in Dane rescue, nothing that is EXACT truth for every Dane...they all have their own personalities. :)

Harls- Clowns! Total clowns and not the brightest in my opinion. Definitely not the Apollo of Dogs, more like the Court Jester!

Fawns- PERFECT example of the breed's temperament and personality! Absolutely regal and definitely an "Apollo"! I think this is why we seem them most often as best in breed winners in dog shows! I recommend them and the Brindles, since they are pretty close in my opinion in temperament, to first time Dane owners! Look at Russia in this picture...you wouldn't know it but there is chaos going on around her and she isn't bothered one single bit! Now it's not her age...she has always been even keel like this, same with our Cowboy (fawn) that we lost to cancer earlier this year...I just LOVE the fawns! :)

Blacks- A little "odd", seem to have a bit more problems with being skittish, or reclusive...my Roxy is a little of both...she LOVES people, but at the same time she enjoys spending most of her time by herself at home. Example...the picture above is Roxy with Diesel when he was 3 months old...look at her ears...she is not happy about having him lay so close...she likes her space! LOL...And she "spooks" really easily! Haven't met a completely "stable" Black before...but then again this is just from my observations and experience! No offense! LOL :D

Mantles- Haven't honestly been around too many...the ones I have were in rescue...but they seem more like the Blacks to me, but that could be they were in a rescue though, so please correct me in the comments if I am way off on this one!

Blue- Now I can honestly say I haven't been around but 2 of these dogs, so again, not much to report here from me! Seem really outgoing though, and stoic, so I'm leaning not so much toward the Black side, but a more stable Fawn in personality? Don't really know.

And lets just say something about my Fawnequin...totally dumb! He really is! He has been the hardest puppy to potty train and I have done my fair share of that!!! Danes are usually really quick learners...him...not so much! I was HOPING he would have more Fawn in him than Harl, but he just seems to be a really dorky dog...Harl to the extreme! But he's really cute!!!!

So this is just a generalization...nothing in stone here folks! Just an opinion from me! So no hate comments! Remember...I own one of all of these beside the Mantle or Blue! :D

5 comments:

Mandy B said...

my merle is not really afraid of anything but one friend who comes over. she hates our mailman and is very protective. not a big fan of men, but that could be because she's my "baby". She's awful smart in instances, but is stubborn and I think it's mistaken for stupidity. she is a total baby!! as she gets older, she is getting more and more mellow and chill. I am a fan of the merles.

angelsroy33 said...

I so love hearing all you know about Danes. So interesting. I could read endlessly about them, ANYTHING about them. And the pictures just put me over the moon. Please keep it coming.

A fan forever. :)

Anonymous said...

I never realized there were so many varieties of Great Dane. I thought there were just the spotted ones and the tan ones. Couldn't have been more wrong.

Rahime said...

Of the Danes I know, the blues and harls seem to be the most confident. We know a lot of blacks, and though I think they can be skittish, I haven't noticed this to be any more so than the other danes I know. The two most easily scared Danes I know are fawns...they're sweet, sweet girls, but pretty jumpy. Brembo's pretty social with both people and other dogs, but her sister (litter mate, who sadly died a few weeks ago after her spay surgery) was much more reclusive. The mantles I've met seem more like harlequins to me...goofy, confident...but, I'm new to the whole Dane world.

crazy4danes said...

Mandy- Thanks for the feedback on the Merles!!!...I really didn't get a chance to touch on all the colors, so I just stuck with the
AKC standard colors accepted (except my Fawnequin of course! Definitely not an accepted color!), I did foster a Merlequin for quite a while...he was a good dog, a little stubborn though too, but SO SWEET!

Angelsroy- Soooo glad you enjoy my blabbering! LOL...I will definitely keep it coming!

Hermit- There are sooo many colors...there are only 6 breed accepted colors, but there are so many variations!

Rahime- So sad about Brembo's sister! And like you've shared it doesn't always apply for every dog, but I am surprised about the two shy fawns...I do see them as being more quiet, reserved...but that's interesting!

Roxy is really social with dogs and people too, but there is just something "off" with her...she can be fine one minute and completely freaked out the next! She loves Great Dane days at the park, but you can tell when she becomes overwhelmed, and she gets that way pretty easily. Funny dog!

Thanks for your comments!!! :)