Sunday, June 14, 2009

Don't judge a book by it's cover...


Should you buy a dog based solely on what it looks like? The answer is obviously no, yet it seems like time and time again I see people (family members) buying dogs on the basis of how cute they are, and nothing else. For example...

My mother-in-law thought Westies were just so cute! She loved everything about they way the looked, their size, the color of the coat, big brown eyes. So she bought one. Well, now she can't stop talking about how "crazy" the puppy is and how much energy he has, and all the trouble he gets into. She asked me when this puppy stage would be over, and I told her never! It's a terrier...what did you expect! Their brains are always going, and they have unlimited amounts of energy! "I didn't realize" was her response. Don't get me wrong terriers are great and make the best pets for the right kind of people. But you need to make sure the dog you are looking to buy fits you and your lifestyle. Someone who likes to have a quiet lap dog that obediently listens, and just sleeps the day away while their gone shouldn't have bought a terrier! LOL :D

And then there's my sister-in-law...her and her boyfriend wanted to get a dog for themselves, and they live in an apartment. The breed they decided to get? A Boston Terrier. I love Boston's, but for a first time dog owner living in a small apartment, this was the wrong choice!!!

Working at the animal hospital we would hear these same stories over and over. "I didn't realize that Labs have such a long crazy puppy stage!" or "No one told me my Jack Russel wasn't going to be calm act like "Eddie" on Fraiser." We would just laugh!

So when looking for a dog, don't base your decision on the size or look of the breed, but the actual temperament and personality of the breed. Look at Great Danes for example...I hear time and time again, I can't believe you have dogs that big in your house! Well what's that supposed to mean? If it was a big dog with the attitude of a terrier, us Dane owners would be in trouble! But people don't realize what couch potatoes they are and how the just want to be where ever you are in the house. For my lifestyle I would rather have 10 Danes in my house than one Terrier!!! LOL :D

Anyone else know someone who got their dog based on looks and nothing else? I'd like to hear. :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I get my dogs largely by finding them on the road after people abandon them. I don't think I've ever actually bought a dog.

Rahime said...

I got lucky that the dog I fell in love with at age 12 (with a "oh my gosh, it's so beautiful I have to have one!") was perfect for me in temperament. I can't tell you how relieved I was when I learned that Danes are fairly low-energy dogs. Even still, it took me almost 20 years to get my first...and believe me, there was a lot of research in the meantime.

I'm always a little amazed at the lack of planning that goes into getting a pet. My family had an African gray parrot when I was growing up, and we heard so many stories about people getting parrots without realizing that they have a VERY long lifespan...oftentimes longer than a human's. In fact my dad got another african gray after a family bought one for their elderly mother...she passed away when the bird was only about a year old.

Even knowing this, my sister and her husband decided to buy a double yellow-headed amazon shortly after they were married. A few years later they had a baby and went through some doubt as to weather they should keep their bird after the baby was born. Then, a little more than a year later they moved and again seriously considered not taking her with them...to their credit, the parrot is still a part of their family. But come on--did you think you wouldn't have any major life changes in the next 60-80 years!?! You would think before committing to an animal people would look into them a little more carefully and understand the responsibility.

I can't tell you how many Dane owners I've met, in the 6 months I've had Brembo, who have told me they rescued their Dane after the original owner surrendered the dog because it was too big. Ya think? You got a Great Dane for goodness sakes...it's not going to be a 12 lb puppy for long!

crazy4danes said...

Hermit- I think that's awesome! I was always bringing strays home as a kid...I didn't actually buy my first dog until I was in my 20's!

Rahime- I hear you! It isn't just dogs that end up being rehomed after people realize they are not what they had anticipated! So sad...and I totally know what you mean about the Danes...That's how I got Diesel. At three months the previous owner didn't "realize" how fast and big they grew...are you serious??!!! People!

Mandy B said...

I bought a chihuahua based on looks and size and got the dog from hell. After peeing on my husband's foot for the 3rd time it was a "dog or me" scenario. I got a terrier chihuahua mix based on crazy factor for my dog from hell to socialize with and she's perfect... amazing... but 3 pounds. And she's terrified of everyone. So after reading, I bought a Great Dane, and well, hopefully after she exits puppy stage she won't be so crazy. We are having trying times right now, she's quite a spaz, but everyone says it'll go away.