Friday, August 14, 2009

The trouble with Turbo!


First off, I'm sorry I haven't been posting as often the last 2 weeks. It's been a crazy month, and I also started a Meetup group for local Great Dane owners, that takes up some time I wasn't used to! ANYWAYS...

So the trouble with Turbo is he has the strangest potty issues! First off Great Danes by nature are super easy to potty train! I have never had a Great Dane act like Turbo, and I think it has a bit to do with the breeding that threw his color. He really just isn't all there....seriously! He is GREAT in his kennel, and will hold it overnight for 10-11 hours sometimes! He has slept through the night since he was 10 weeks old. He is REALLY great at potty commands! When he goes outside, I tell him to potty and he potties immediately, I tell him to go "poopies" and he goes right away. So in that respect he is pretty smart. So where's the problem? When he's distracted, i.e. when he's sniffing out something down the hall, kitchen, etc. he will pee as he walks!!!! He NEVER stops and pees a huge puddle, just a trail as he's walking! It's crazy and I've never seen anything like it! My vet is a bit perplexed too. I do the usual going out after eating, playing, etc...but it's not like he's actually needing to pee, so he pees a lake...it's more like he can't multitask and when he's distracted doing something he deems important he just starts to pee as he walks! When I yell his name he quickly stops and then runs to his kennel. Seriously the weirdest thing ever, and I've been raising puppies for 15 years!

3 comments:

Rahime said...

That's such a strange quirk (and no doubt obnoxious when you're the one cleaning up)! He's a cutie though.

angelsroy33 said...

Poor kid. And you guys are sure there is nothing wrong with him physically that makes him do that? (Not to worry you.) Just wondering. They are so adorable tho. Doesn't he make up for it when he does something to show he loves you tho? Look at that face!!!

crazy4danes said...

It's nothing medical. He has no problem holding his urine in the kennel or otherwise...just when he's busy doing something else like searching out something on the floor, or playing rough with toys. It's the craziest thing! But he's such a cutie so he gets away with it! :D